Friday, 3 August 2007

Being Lazy...or Working too Hard?

You know, I had forgotten what it means to be a "stay at home" mum. I forgot how few hours there are actually in a day when you have a life again.

We just spent a few lovely days away at Normanville, a little beachside town on the Fleurieu Peninsula. It was great to wake up without an agenda and just poke along through the day. Mind, it would have been better if there was sun to poke around in!

We arrived at the caravan park Sunday before lunch, set up and proceeded to explore our surroundings. It was beautiful, warm, sunny weather. We wandered into Yankalilla for a look, spent far too much money, and wandered back to the park for a lazy afternoon sitting about. Dinner was done up in the camp kitchen, which was excellent.

Monday, well, it was so foggy we couldn't see in front of us as we drove around the hills. We searched for a good fishing spot and found one we though would be okay. However, it was over a breakwater wall of rocks, and of course, me with my dicky old knees, was the entertainment trying to hop from rock from rock. When we got to the water all we managed to catch were rocks. A highlight of that moment though was the little black seal who swam about two meters from us, stopped for a look at the silly people bundled up against the cold sitting on freezing rocks...then swam off to join his colony a bit further around.

We ended up moving to the Second Valley jetty and spent about 4 hours there standing in the cold trying to catch, well, anything except a cold. I caught the first fish, a little whiting about six inches long. Jr Her caught the next, a little sweetlip we think about the same length. Then, nothing. So we packed up and wandered back home. Dinner that night was a lovely meal at the Normanville Hotel.

Monday night the wind started up, and things were blowing around and rattling in the breeze. Our annex came unpegged and we scrabbled to resurrect it. After a bit of an argument the next morning, we ended up sitting around reading and watching DVDs. About lunch we decided to see what was at Myponga. Nothing. We drove up around the reservoir and over the dam wall, had a pie at the bakery, then came back home again. I got some washing done but as it began pouring rain just before we got home I had to race and grab it off the line. However, we were too late and it ended up in the dryer...luckily I nabbed the one which was working.

That night was dinner at the camp kitchen again, plus games in the games room - a racing car game, which Jr Her became quite good at, pool, and pin ball. Plus, an open fire to toast marshmallows over. Lovely! As I was going up to the shower, the only other people in the park, a German pair of tourists, were in the shower. So what? They were both in together and I knew what they were up to, so went back to our van. After a bit I decided I wanted my shower so Wayne suggested I go into the boys shower with him. I did, and no, we didn't!

Wednesday we were home by lunch, and after a few goes, even managed to get the van into the back yard, which we have just redone taking out the old fence and erecting a new set of gates on the car port. So now we can pop the top and access it whenever we want!

Yesterday I dropped Jr Her at school, came home and cleaned the old food out of the fridge, vacuumed the floor, re arranged the plant and stuff in the lounge room, tidied up the last of the stuff we had to put away, went to lunch with a couple of lovely older ladies, came home, put the roast in the oven, picked up Jr Her and a friend from school, went to Stratco for pipe corners, went to Brunnings and picked up some potting mix and pots, and went to an outdoors shop and swapped the chairs we had bought the week before to take away with us, because they gave us the wrong ones.

Today, I have been shopping for a couple new work tops, done grocery shopping, and made lunch. Whew! Now I have to go look at LCD televisions for the caravan, then go get Jr Her from school, and it will be time for Karate...there just aren't enough hours in a day when you aren't working....

No comments: