Thursday, 21 May 2009

Sydney Trip

So, because we were gone for 12 days, I won't give you a day by day account, or we could be here for pages.

To cut a long story short, we arrived Saturday morning, and were driven to the hotel by my boss's cab company Silver Service, chauffeured by Harry. I have spoken to Harry on numerous occasions so it was lovely to meet him in person.

It was too early to check in so we dumped our bags and wandered down Pyrmont Bridge Road to Darling Harbour and Cockle Wharf. We delighted in some of the sights, found a place that served big meals for under $10, (the nicest wedges I have ever eaten!) and had lunch, then wandered back to the room. Which turned out to be a block of 15 units. Not a hotel at all.

Our room was on the second floor, one of 3, and we had our own private balcony. Our room was up one end, with the lounge and kitchen between, and Sam's room and bathroom at the far end overlooked Pyrmont Bridge Road. It was a lovely room, quite spacious and fully equipped with kitchen, laundry, lounge, DVD player and stereo.

Him had a cat nap that afternoon and Jr Her and I walked down the street to the overpriced 7-11 and did a basic grocery shop. Turns out we didn't use half of it anyway.

For dinner that night I made toasted sandwiches. One of only two meals I cooked the whole time. Apart from breakfast...

Sunday was Mother's Day, and I phoned my mum, then opened my gifts. My previous blog outlines the early presents I received, and then on the plane Jr Her gave me a folded piece of paper with hand written cut out vouchers inside, saying "you don't have to wash today", and "you don't have to cook dinner today" etc. Perfect!

Anyway, on Sunday I received the most wonderful digital photo frame, with a difference. It also has an LED display of the time, temperature, and humidity levels. It takes a memory card and has a small screen to display my photos as well. I also received an expensive diamond and sapphire necklace. It is a choker style, with small sapphires separated by twists of gold with a heart at the end of the twist. Inside the heart is a tiny diamond. It is stunning and very beautiful. Who's a lucky mum then?

It was lightly spitting when we went for a look around. We found, after a bit of a walk, Paddy's Markets, and we bought a back pack for Jr Her, a Dolce and Gabanna (sure it is! lol) handbag for me, hat for Him, and various other rubbish, and made our way back to the room. We went back out I think for dinner that night, but the rest of the holiday we had dinner on the way home.

Him's new hat.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I was "working", meeting all our Sydney clients, and really enjoying myself. The rest of the family spent their time walking around the shopping centres, spending all their money. Oh, on Sunday Jr Her bought herself an expensive pair of shoes, $110, with her saved up birthday money. She was happy. On the Monday they found another 3 floors above Paddy's Markets, and the Smiggle Shop. More money spent! Tuesday they bought passes on the Monorail and went into the city.

The new shoes. They now have bright orange laces too...

On Wednesday we were able to activate our See Sydney passes (they were 7 day passes so we had to wait till 7 days before our home date). I was working so they went on two jet boat rides, and visited the Maratime Museum, checking out the Navy boat onsite. They ran out of time to do the Sumbarine.

One of the jet boats they went on

Thursday I was able to rejoin the troops and we visited the Aquarium and Wildlife centre. That was very interesting. We also looked around the shops at Darling Harbour more, and had dinner on a permanant floating restaurant (very nice!).

All of us at the Aquarium

Can I keep him?

We went around the harbour again Friday, with a visit to the Power House museum, taking an afternoon sight seeing cruise around the harbour and under the bridge, past the Opera House, back to Circular Quay, giving me my first ferry ride. We also watched the fireworks for the Darling Harbour 21st birthday celebrations.

Speaks for itself really...

Fireworks Friday night

Saturday was spent on the monorail again, in the city, checking out the shopping (too expensive, although I found two bras for $40 and a jacket for Him, and tights for Jr Her for $2.95 a pair...) We visited the tower and the Oz Trek display (interesting). We treated ourselves to a dinner cruise (it was half price) Saturday evening, and met a couple of American students, one of whom broke a cracker and sent it flying onto our table, which caused much mirth between our tables. Great night!

View from the Tower

Jr Her and Him on the dinner cruise

Sunday we went by ferry to Circular Quay, walking through the Rocks markets (very interesting) but we didn't buy anything because they all wanted Cash and I wasn't carrying any at that time. We had a look through the Opera House, and went for the tour. We also climbed the Harbour Bridge Pylon lookout, which was a fantastic view but very long walk.

Jr Her and I at the Opera House

Him and I at the Pylon Lookout

Monday we went back to Circular Quay, to the Rocks. We went for a Rocks walking tour, taking in the history of the place and a few little out of the way places we didn't know existed. We tried to visit the Police and Justice museum but tragically it was closed. My one regret... lol! We did see the Museum of Sydney, and a few little out of the way places. We finished with a look at the Observatory, getting a chance to peek through the telescope at a few stars as well.

Jr Her and Him at the Observatory. Lovely old building, and included in the Ghost tour...

Tuesday it rained again and we had a slow day closer to home. We took in the Maratime Museum again, this time going right through the displays and onto the sub. Him enjoyed that, as he was able to relate the differences between the older sub and the newer machines. It was very interesting actually.

We walked down the other way to the Fish Market, bought some whiting, scollops and prawns, and I cooked a lovely marinara pasta for dinner (with bolognese sauce).

After dinner we rounded off our holiday with a trip back to the Rocks for a Ghost Tour. Man, what an experience that was! Jr Her was very brave, right up until the last place, which was a dark section of an old cottage under a building. She swears she felt something brush her leg there and said she was overcome by a very negative feeling in the place. She was shaking for a while after that. Capped off a lovely holiday.

The underground area that gave Jr Her the creeps. If you look carefully you may see what I believe are two ghostly orbs...

Except, as most of you know, for the loss of my beloved feline buddy Wally. I am told he had a heart attack on Sunday morning and died within seconds. I am not sure what happened, but I do find it a bit hard to accept, at the young age of 7, he had a heart attack. Anyway, the home sitters were very helpful, putting him into his bed and covering him with a blanket. They arranged for him to be cremated for me (at my request), waiving their usual sitting fee so I could afford to get it done. They took him to the animal hospital for pick up as well, and when we got home, I found all his belongings bagged up in the corner where his litter tray used to be, all packed away nicely. It's amazing how much of an impact he had. The house is cold and dark, and horribly quiet without his little bell ringing. And normally, as I typed this, he would be lying curled up across my arms purring and cuddlng me. I really do miss him so...


Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a great time. Love wayne's hat and sam's shoes.
It looked like a great family hoilday. love wally

The Elder said...

i'll miss wally. he was a funny little cat. glad i got some pictures of him when we visited.

the ghost tour sounds interesting. i'm planning on going for some of the brissy ones when we move back. kinda done the toowong cemetary one during the day... without the guides.

in february when i was in sydney, i got dragged along to paddy's markets. i felt so claustrophobic. tooooooo many people for me! but the girls bought a really nice watch for their mum. and there were some nice stuff i found as i was fighting my way out.

i wish i could have gone to sydney to meet up with you, but i had to go to brissy for something. so all my funds kinda got sucked away for that trip. so bummed. woulda been fun to see u all again.


Chris H said...

I loved Sydney too... glad you had a lovely time there. LOVE the sneakers!

SOL's view said...

*shakes head*

imagine losing wally and phan on the same weekend.....

*kisses to wally*

apart from that, glad you had a wonderful time.