Sunday, 14 February 2010


So this week has flown by again. I swear, I must be sleeping half the week cause it seems to go faster and faster each month!

I decided on Wednesday to try the Steamboat, but like everything else I try to do it didn't work according to plan.

I shopped after work to buy ingredients at Woollies, cause I needed other stuff. So I found chicken breast, prawns, frozen dim sims, noodles and carrots, and raced home to prepare them. I asked Fluffy to fire up the heat bead for the steamboat.

He added one and a few firelighters. A few more firelighters, a wad of scrunched up paper! Nothing! We could not get those beads to light and eventually he had to give up. It just wasn't going to happen.

Dobby, as a typical teen, got the shits when I suggested we could have stir fry with the ingredients. Why do I only think of what I want and not what others want blah blah blah. Fluffy was so thoroughly cheesed off by now he just said he wasn't hungry.

So, I decided to go inside, put a pot of chicken stock on the stove, and make my own steamboat.

And I did. Dobby wandered in. Whatcha doin? I told her. I asked if she wanted some. She did. So I got two bowls ready, put some noodles and a little stock in, cooked some chicken, prawns, carrots, and 2 dim sims each, then put some chilli, soy and honey/soy/ginger and sesame sauces into bowls. Very nice meal indeed.

Fluffy stayed outside.

The next night I used the last of the chicken and prawns and carrot and made a stirfry with a combination of the sauces as well. Very, very tasty and with the little cubed baked potatoes I put with it, everyone was happy.

The rest of the week passed in a blur and suddenly it was Friday again. Fluffy took the van up to Kapunda Friday morning while I was at work. I got to leave early and when I got home we grabbed the last minute stuff and fed the cat, and were on the road by 4.45pm. We got up there about 6.15, grabbing fish and chips on the way to the park. Very nice spot we had. No grass but a lovely park, quiet except for the thousand or so resident cockatoos. Right next to the sports grounds so the outside road was very busy.

We had a great weekend, and I have even found a white wine I can drink. Usually wine gives me a horrible aftertaste in my mouth and irritates my reflux but this one didn't. Very sad that it is a french wine... another couple said they would go halves in a crate if I ordered any more. Very expensive though. But I had two glasses on Saturday afternoon and evening!

Saturday we went for a picnic lunch to the playground with the group, and a lot of the youngun's went swimming after so Fluffy and I came back to the van. Some other members joined us and we had a lovely afternoon there. Then games at 4.00 when the prodigals returned wet and happy. After games we made burgers (on the park bbq so we didn't even dirty ours this weekend) and back to the group for a social with a difference. All the guys gathered at the camp kitchen for cards, and us girls sat around staring at a building wall, upon which a very clever member of the group was projecting Mamma Mia! We had popcorn, cat calls, kids sitting on top of utility canopies, and throwing of skittles. Very, very funny night.

Although this morning was valentine's day, we didn't do anything as we don't usually honor the day. But we packed up early and took our time coming home after morning tea. Home just after lunch, unpacked the van, did two loads of washing then sat in the lounge with the air conditioner going munching on a cheese platter we three were. Very relaxing.

Now, I am about to go put a try of kids treat things (all chicken nugget type things, with fish fingers and vegies) for dinner (to use them up).

Then I think a bath, headache tablet to shake off the last of this thing, and an early night. One thing that makes these weekends away with the club tiring is that they are rarely in bed before mid night. Then there is always something to wake you up. Oh, Saturday morning it was the alarm on the phone Dobby and her friend found. Fluffy took it to the office for collection (one of the group phoned a number in the phone and they said they would collect it from the park office next day). No sooner had fluffy dropped it off, but the lady was there picking it up literally as Fluffy was leaving the office!

Later on Saturday a young kid comes to our van where a group had gathered with a six pack of beer! Lovely. So, because it was Dobby and her friends who found the phone, we kept the beer and gave them $5 each. Ironically, at games, they made an announcement congratulating the honesty of the club kids (last rally they found a camera and handed it in) and the two girls involved this time weren't there - they were off running an errand! Dobby would have been embarrassed anyway....


Chris H said...

Hey, your weekend sounds so much fun! Ya for finding a nice wine, shame it's so expensive.

Anonymous said...

good weekend!!!love wally

SOL's view said...

let's see if it lets me leave a comment today....

sounds like the club is turning out to be a big success. at least you are getting to use the van!

now, if you stop lollygagging all over the countryside, you'll soon have enough for a plain ticket to here. and home of course! :D

Chris H said...

Little red and white duck... easiest to just chuck cash in a card and post it! I will let you know when I have done your duck.... thanks for the 'order' lol!

Micki said...

You have a way with words, and i enjoyed the post very much!

Anonymous said...

After all your trouble to get a steamboat and the only steam you got was out of your ears! Guess what I just saw at the dump shop - a steamboat! Could have got it for you for a couple of bucks! love Rat.