Monday 5 March 2007

Custard and Ice Cream! Yum!

Well, I was munching on a leftover frozen meal recently and remembered that it was from when I couldn't eat anything. I was reminded how painful it was to only have a dish of custard while my family tucked into a huge bowl of spaghetti...funny, I didn't mind too much at the time, but after a couple of weeks, I was longing to eat food with flavour again.

So, after about two weeks, you start to salivate at the smell of a cooking steak. You are advised that you may never eat red meat again - some people can't after having a band inserted. You also can't eat most bread products, seeds, grains, and a variety of other strange foods. But man, that first taste of mashed potato and gravy is heaven.

Of course, you have to vitamise everything. Bring out the old food processor again! Also, you have to eat smaller quantities, and for a few weeks actually do. I used to divide my normal evening meal into two parts, one for tonight and one for lunch tomorrow. That way, I knew I was getting a good balanced meal. So, into the food processor. I asked the dietician if you could liquify a burger...she thought I was serious....

I discovered one of my favourite meals at the time was vitamised Corned Beef, mashed potatoes, vegies and white sauce! Everything you eat is covered in gravy, which helps it blend better. So, there you are once again, standing in the kitchen, while everyone else is eating, blending up your dinner. Yay, you finally get to sit and eat, dam, you forgot...you have to warm it up in the microwave...sigh. What a hassle!

Never mind, at least you feel like a grown up again and not like you should be wearing nappies...

2 comments:

SOL's view said...

Oh yes, go the custard and ice cream. And much kudos to serious dietitians. With no sense of humour......

Colleen Barnett said...

I did manage to get a lot of things into that blender...