Sunday, 22 May 2011

Wild and Wooly

And not just my hair, although today I do look like that mangy dog I was accused of being a few years ago, before I learned how to do my hair properly.

Anyway, the week that was was not terribly exciting. Usualy boring stuff of work, work and more work. Dobby had a netball thing on for school, which meant an excursion to Etsa Stadium (where the famed Thunderbirds play from), which finished at 3.00pm. Therefore I got to leave early. Boy, did I need that. But after I had to take her to the Uniform shop for a top up of school uniforms (she has put on a little weight already this year) and a new school bag. Her original bag was just too small and last year's was too heavy. She is really happy with the one from the school itself. Quite big and still extremely heavy but necessary.

Then, because it was actually this weekend that we were going away, I got to leave Friday at 3.00 again. I had to stop at the accountant's office on the way home, so it was lovely to beat everyone home.

Fluffy bought himself a little 6-bottle wine fridge for the caravan, and it was dispatched on Monday. Plenty of time for it to arrive, yes? Well, all week he made enquiries. He told them when it arrives to hold it at the depot. They put it on a truck. Then he told them he wasn't home so take it off the truck. They said how many times do I need to tell you we can't take it off the truck. Your mistake, you fix it he said.

Then, when I got home at 3.30, I told him it hadn't arrived but there was a card left in the letter box advising they had been.

He was straight back on the phone telling the chick that we were leaving at 5.00 and it had better be here. No, we can't do it. Yes, he said, your mistake. You will do it. It arrived at 4.55... One happy Fluffy.

We did leave on time, and by 5.20 were on the freeway. One part of our journeys I always hate is the freeway. It's steep, winding, and full of maniacs. I am of late a very nervy person and I don't relax until we pass the Hahndorf exit, some 15km or so out of Adelaide.

This time was our first with the Fairmont pulling the new van. The Mitsubishi pulled our old van up there no sweat. The Fairmont struggled, indeed getting quite hot at one point. But the other car would not be able to pull the new van. At least we know we can do it, but I think it will struggle a bit. Mind you, it does pull it at all other times without blinking an eyelid.

We arrived about 6.30pm, it was dark and cold and there was no one at all in sight. Only a half dozen vans were there, so we picked our site and set up. By the time we had finished the others started wandering back from the nearby pub.

We all gathered, as we usually do, outside someone's van for drinkies. I popped in and out, as I usually do. It was getting toward "that time" and I wasn't feeling very comfortable. And with good reason, when they came, they came with gusto and that was it for me for the evening.

The showers for the back half of the little caravan park consisted of a row of 3 unisex ensuites. They had a shower and toilet in each room, with plenty of space. Very clean and lovely too. And the showers were nice.

Saturday we had morning cuppa, club game, then some of us formed a convoy (we were able to play this time because they didn't go 4-wheel-driving). We just drove around. Wellington offers a caravan park, a pub, a service station and a ferry across the river. South Australian ferries look like this. Scroll down to Wellington. We decided not to take the van across one but come down the inland road, which was a bit of fun because the road wasn't as good. But it was probably quicker anyway.

But we took the convoy of cars across for something to do this day.

On the way back we stopped at the Courthouse Museum for something to do. I took these photos:

There was the usual stuff inside, and while it was lovely and interesting, it wasn't really worth photographing. I thought the above were more visually appealing. We had an icecream and headed back to camp.

Happy hour then, and we watched the weather start to turn. I took some photos:

and after Fluffy, Dobby and I went to the pub for dinner. It was rather expensive but huge serves (none of us finished our meals) and the food was to die for. But a large group of young persons (man, I must be getting old) came in and one lass in particular had a horribly loud voice. With all of them shouting at once, and a group of drunk men shouting out from the pokies room, after only 45 minutes we took our leave.

A local made a comment about the imminent weather and we also heard rumblings from some other locals through the day, so we decided that all of us should batten down in case the nasty weather dropped in for a visit.

We managed to secure the hall across the road from the park for a few hours after dinner, but we didn't stay long. Most people wanted to be sure to be indoors before the "storm" struck.

Well, it was a little blowy, and actually got warmer as the evening progressed. In fact, I had to kick off the blanket and open the window.

I got up to go to the loo at 1am, and at 1.15 it started raining steadily. It rained quite a bit through the night but we saw no wild weather.

Until we headed home. Then we hit it.

Up through the tunnels was foggy, wet and the cross winds were killer. We made it home safely though, and Fluffy put the van away. But while he did I had to stand in the rain with the radio and direct him. He has to manoeuvre it around the front yard, and it's difficult to see the fence, tree, house etc so I get to be his eyes on the ground. I got wet. He didn't.

He is a legend at putting the van away, though. It seems to get easier as he figures out is landmarks etc. We hadn't packed much in it this time so it didn't take long to unpack it. Then I did some ironing, swept the floor, and took a couple hours to flake out on the bed watching old sit-coms (Lucille Ball, Green Acres). It was fabulous. And the best part? The cat missed me. Makes it all worthwhile...


SOL's view said...

It's good to know that someone missed you. :)

And sometimes I think the best part is the getting home.

And I do like the pics, especially the one with the blue bath.

JoeinVegas said...

The cat missed you?

I thought weekends were for relaxing, you seem to have quite busy ones when camping.

Butterfly Kissez said...

I love wild, wet and windy weather but only if I can snuggle up at home in bed with a good movie or a good book! Sounds like your usual fun weekend though!!