Tuesday, 25 September 2007

Happy Birthday To Me

Well, actually it was yesterday but I haven't had time to write anything till now. Big 4.0. You know, I don't feel it. I actually feel quite good. A little tired but now I am officially middle aged, that is to be expected!

I have had such a wonderful time. It started Friday afternoon, when I won a Foo Fighters pack. Not that that is really exciting, but to win anything is quite a buzz. It had a CD and Tshirt. Nice.

Saturday was my birthday party. Now, I am always one for a good party, and when people offer to bring stuff, so all I have to supply is the meat and bread rolls, even better! I had lots of plates of nibbles, which I think is always the best bit anyway, and a lovely friend stopped by only to drop off my gift and her two salads, (potato and coleslaw), and a big bowl of chocolates for dessert. Lucky she did cause the promised Greek salad didn't appear...but that's another story.

We dined on lovely snacks, marinated bbq steak, sausages, chicken skewers, and rissoles, bread rolls, and salads, sat around chatting and then I was told to sit and stay. Being a good dog, I did just that! A couple of lovely ladies cleared most of the dishes away, and then the lights went off.

Only to be replaced by the bright glow of 40 candles. Followed closely by Him with the fire extinguisher...

The cake was organised by my friend and neighbour, who I will call Sally (see previous posts). I will try include a photo in my next entry. Shall I tell you what it looked like anyway?

Well, we cut the cake, dished it out (leaving about 2/3 still in my fridge...) and then it was over by about half past eight. Good thing about starting a party at four!

Jr Her had a couple of little girlfriends stay over (never, never again!) and after a few squabbles they finally went to sleep just before twelve.

Next day was quiet, the girls got up and under duress cleaned up Jr Her's room and their bedding in the lounge. One went home and we took Jr Her to the other's house, where she was sleeping the night. After coffee and a chat Him and I drove to the tram station, dumped the car and boarded the tram for the city.

We walked up a few streets to the Rendezvous Allegra, 5 star, very swish. About 5 minutes after booking in (to a room on the 18th floor!!!), the concierge arrived with chocolates and a rose. There was wine in the fridge but we kept that for later. We lazed about the room for awhile, paid $17 to watch Spiderman 3, and waited for our masseuse. He arrived while the movie was on, and I think was watching it while massaging us. It was terrific!

After that we wandered a couple of streets north and found a little pub. Hot garlic bread, and a couple of drinks later we went back to the room, took a bath, and after tarting ourselves up (and watching Burkes Back Yard) we went back out to find somewhere to eat. The place at the casino I wanted to go to was closed (being Sunday), but another nearby was open. Dinner was delicious, and after we put $20 through the pokies.

About 11pm we walked back to the hotel, and got to bed about midnight. I, as always, woke up at the crack of dawn so I read for awhile, showered, made myself look reasonable (it was, after all, driver's licence photo day). When Him crawled out of bed some time later we wandered down to breakfast, which was included with our room. Cooked breakfast, with all the trimmings. Very nice.

When we had finished, we went back upstairs, collected our goods, and checked out. $307 later we made our way back to the tram. We picked up the car, went and got my licence done, then went to the house Jr Her stayed at the previous night to collect her stuff.

The, as the weather was lovely, we pottered about the back yard, doing washing, preparing the van for our weekend away (if the car gets fixed in time, but that's another story).

While we were waiting for Jr Her at the school my boss sent me a text message from France (ooh la la)which I thought was lovely! When we got home they wrapped my presents while I made some snacks. We settled in the lounge, and Jr Her proceeded to unload my presents onto me one at a time.

I have never felt so spoiled in my life. I received some of the loveliest gifts I have ever been given. perfume, frogs, vouchers, jewellery...and Saturday night seemed to be Frog Gift night. I am very blessed with friends and family.

After a dinner of chicken wings and baked potatoes, we had more cake with candles. Better get back to my diet again - I think I have lost about 2kg in the last week, which is excellent!

I do consider myself very blessed. I couldn't help but feel sad on Saturday though. Here I was planning one of the big events of my life, and none of the close family and friends I would normally spend it with were here to share it with me. I did have lots of good friends to share my day with, but it would have been just perfect with my family and friends from Queensland to share the day with. But those who did share it with me, THANKS HEAPS!!! I HAD A BLAST!!!! Those of you who weren't, you missed a great party! haha.


SOL's view said...

Glad you had a lovely day. I can't remember mine. And I don't think it was alcohol....

Leanne said...

Happy Birthday!! Sounds like you celebrated your 40th in good fashion.

And good work on losing some kilo's... :)

SOL's view said...

Love the photos! The cake with Bibi on it looks great. Shame you had to cut it.

Froggy said...

Still have half that cake in my fridge - want a piece?