Tuesday, 27 January 2009

Port Broughton? Not in the near future...

So we took the caravan away for the long weekend. Normally we would have left Friday night, but because we took Jr Her's friend M (as I have forgotten what I have previously called her, M will do for now) with us, we only went for 2 nights. By 9.15 Saturday morning we were underway.

It was a good drive over, the girls were happy, and we stopped for a short break (as one always does) at Port Wakefield. When we arrived at the Port Broughton Caravan Park, I asked the girl what our neighbours would be, as we always end up beside screaming babies. She laughed, and said there was no one on one side until after we left, and the other, well, she couldn't tell.

Anyway, we found our site, and thought they must be small as there appeared to be someone both sides, so if there was a vacant site beside us, we were in trouble... But, no, we did in fact have neighbours.

Now, remember my previous blog, with Him's modifications to our van? Well, they attracted a lot of interest from the people beside us (who apparently weren't there at all according to the office) and their two neighbours. We made friends with them as they were very interested in what Him had done.

And guess what was on the other? You guessed it. Jackpot this time because there were in fact 2 screaming babies. Wonderful. Well toddlers they were, and their parents seemed to have no control over them.

Anyway, we got ourselves set up, got the girls into their tent, then off they went for a swim. God Bless swimming pools. They spent much of the weekend in the pool or wandering around. However, M is not a physical person and wanted to spend a lot of time sitting watching dvds so that caused a few problems as Jr Her is not one to sit still.

On Saturday night, Him decided to visit the neighbours and didn't come in until 11:15pm. I was so tired, and I was texting SOL complaining that the park was still sooo loud! At that time of night there were parties, music, kids on bikes. There was so much noise, and it didn't stop until after 2:00am. I was wide awake at this time, and remained so until after 3:30. When I finally got to sleep, the kids next door woke me before six.

Needless to say I was not pleasant company the next day. I did try though. We went into the township, had a snack, went for a walk on the jetty, checked out the fishing and swimming spots, and bought some clothes and stuff from a couple of little shops.

Both Jr Her and M were listless by mid afternoon Sunday. There really isn't much to do there, so after a Nana nap we went fishing. Jr Her even had a nap, something she hasn't done since she was 1! Anyway, we went into town to the jetty, and M chickened out of swimming. I think it had something to do with the movie Jaws they had watched a couple of weekends ago. Didn't bother Jr Her though.

M was the only one who caught anything (I admit, I was quite miffed) as it was too windy and choppy, and the sea kept stealing our bait.

We went home for dinner, and everyone was in bed fairly early. But sleep was going to be elusive again, as the people across and down from us partied until after 2:00 am again, despite calls of "Shut the F**K up!". Some people just don't get it, do they?

Anyway, we dragged ourselves out of bed the next day, packed up our gear, said goodbye to our new friends and toddled off home. One of the most disappointing things about the trip was that the park was huge. There were over 250 sites, and half of those were filled. But they were all in one end of the park! When Him and I went for a walk Sunday morning, we were quite shocked to see that most of the back half of the park was empty. Here we were, all jammed in like sardines with caravans and tents together, all competing for a shower stall or toilet cubicle, and down the back was open country. I mean, what sort of stupid people are these park owners? Why not put campers down one end, and caravans the other? There was an amenities block down that way, the pool was mostly in the centre, and easily accessible by the others, so why do what they did? it really was disappointing to say the least.

So, guess where we won't be going again?


SOL's view said...

what? no one thought of the torch and pitchfork brigade on the noisy neighbours? sounds like there would have been plenty of takers.... =)

strange they didn't spread people out. maybe they just didn't want to have to keep an eye on the whole park???

Miss LJ said...

Sorry to hear your weekend was crappy int he park. Nothing can ruin a holiday more than noisy neighbours.

At least you know for next tiem anyways... And I agree with SOl, I bet they didn't want to have to keep an eye ont he whole partk.. slack!!

Hope you cope OK witht he heat this week!

Miss LJ said...

far out... the heat must be getting to my fingers... too many typos for my liking!!

Anonymous said...

sad to hear!! better luck next time
love wally